Apr 17, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Accelerated Graduate Pathway to Counseling

For highly motivated undergraduate students who are already looking ahead to graduate school, USM offers an Accelerated Graduate Pathway from our Social and Behavioral Sciences program to the MS in Counseling program that allows you to begin graduate study while completing your bachelor’s degree, saving you time and money – which means you’ll be ready for a career that much sooner, with your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in hand.

Program Requirements

In order to gain full admission to the Master of Science in Counseling program a student must do all of the following:

  • Declare the Social and Behavioral Sciences major.
  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in all course work and in the major; earn at least a B- in any 500-level graduate courses taken while an undergraduate.
  • Complete HCE 500 Orientation to the Counseling Profession during the fourth year of undergraduate study if intent is to complete the Mental Health or School concentrations in the graduate program; complete HCE 510 Introduction to Rehabilitation Counseling and Services if intent is to complete the Rehabilitation concentration in the graduate program.
  • Follow the additional guidelines for MS in Counseling applicants as outlined on the Graduate Admissions website.

Recommended Course Sequence

In addition to HCE 500, students may substitute up to five of the following undergraduate SBS courses with the specified graduate course (totaling up to 18 credits of the graduate program):

How to Apply or participate in the Counseling Pathway:

  • Students must complete at least one full-time semester at USM with a 3.0 GPA before they can declare the pathway. Once that has occurred, a student must meet with Michael Katz in the Advising Office to complete the declaration form.
  • If you are a Transfer or Continuing Student, please contact the University of Southern Maine Advising Office to meet with an academic advisor who can review your previous coursework and determine your eligibility for entering an Accelerated Graduate Pathway.