Sep 27, 2022
The Minor in Anthropology provides students with a broad introduction to this field. This Minor is an excellent supplement for students from the other social sciences, humanities, environmental science, and other fields who are interested in human behavior, cultural diversity, environmental adaptation, and historical lifeways.
Students must complete a minimum of 15 credits. No grades lower than C- will be counted towards fulfillment of the major or minor requirements. A maximum of one (1) course may either be transferred from another institution or drawn from another major at USM, such as Linguistics, with approval from the student’s faculty advisor in the Program in Geography-Anthropology.
Geography-Anthropology majors may use no more than one (1) course to satisfy requirements for both the minor and the major.
Choice of any four (4) of the following to meet 15 credit minimum.
Courses must be taught by at least two (2) different faculty members and one (1) course must be 300-level or above.
- ANT 201 - Human Origins Credits: 3
- ANT 202 - Origins of Civilization Credits: 3
- ANT 204 - The Gulf of Maine: Archaeology, Ecology, and Environmental Change Credits: 4
- ANT 213 - Human Ecology Credits: 3
- ANT 220 - Indigenous Communities of North America Credits: 3
- ANT 224 - Ancient Mesoamerica Credits: 3
- ANT 230 - Hunters and Gatherers Credits: 3
- ANT 232 - The Anthropology of Sex and Gender Credits: 3
- ANT 233 - Food and Culture Credits: 3
- ANT 255 - Cultures of Africa Credits: 3
- ANT 262 - Women, Arts & Global Tourism Credits: 3
- Credits: 3
- ANT 280 - Prehistoric Art Credits: 3
- ANT 302 - Medical Anthropology Credits: 3
- ANT 315 - Ethnography: Methods, Ethics, and Practice Credits: 3
- ANT 515 - Ethnography: Methods, Ethics, and Practice Credits: 3
- ANT 305 - Gender, Race, and Health Credits: 3
- ANT 350 - International Development Credits: 3
- ANT 380 - African American Historical Archaeology Credits: 3
- ANT 410 - Japan: Archaeology, Environmental History and Multicultural Perspectives Credits: 3