Sep 27, 2022
The undergraduate Self-Designed Contract Major is designed to prepare those students seeking to teach STEM education to children with a strong foundation in mathematics and science. The overarching goal of the program is to prepare educators with a deep understanding of the Common Core Mathematics and Next Generation Science Standards. Coursework models best teaching practices, emphasizes using reading and writing across the STEM curriculum, and focuses on hands-on, problem-based learning.
Students completing the degree will have satisfied the USM Core Curriculum and the STEM Education Major. A minimum of 60.5 credits are required for the STEM Education major, 120 credits total are required for graduation.
USM Core Curriculum
- Writing, Reading, and Inquiry 1: ENG 100 - College Writing Credits: 3
- Writing, Reading, and Inquiry 2: ENG 102 - Academic Writing Credits: 3
- Writing, Reading, and Inquiry 3: Credits: 3
- Cultural Interpretation: Credits: 3
- Quantitative Reasoning: MAT 120 - Introduction to Statistics (required) Credits: 4
- Creative Expression: EDU 230 - Teaching Through the Arts (recommended) Credits: 3
- Socio-Cultural Analysis: EDU 225 - Multicultural Child and Adolescent Development (recommended) Credits: 3
- Science Exploration: (fulfilled by several courses required for the major) Credits: 4
- Ethical Inquiry, Social Responsibility, and Citizenship: EDU 310 - Education, Schooling, and Democracy (recommended) Credits: 3
- Culture, Power, and Equity: EDU 305 - Foundations of Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (recommended) Credits: 3
- International: EDU 310 - Education, Schooling, and Democracy (recommended) Credits: 3
- Engaged Learning: EDU 305 - Foundations of Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (recommended) Credits: 3
Major Requirements: (Minimum credits required for the major: 60.5)
Mathematics Content (a minimum of 24 credits)
Science Content (27.5-30 credits)
Two of the following upper-level science courses:
Mathematics and Science Content and Pedagogy (9-15 credits)
Students must complete elective credits to complete the 120 minimum credits for graduation.
USM Core Requirements
The USM Core Curriculum is a coherent, integrative, and rigorous liberal education that enables our graduates to be world-minded, intentional, life-long learners and captures your general education degree requirements.
Please Note: Core requirements may be part of your major and/or minor, and Core may have been fulfilled with transfer credit. Please consult your MaineStreet Degree Progress Report (DPR) and review your degree progress with your Advisor. For additional information, access the USM Core webpage.