Feb 08, 2023
The Integrative Professional Studies (IPS) degree completion program was designed to meet the needs of transfer and returning students* who have a variety of academic backgrounds, employment experience, and career aspirations. Students in the program complete their degrees through a combination of LOS courses, transfer credits, and prior learning assessment.
This program may be completed face-to-face on our Portland campus, fully online, or through a combination of the two. For more information, please contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit the Office of Admission for application information.
*Returning USM students must not have been enrolled for at least three years in order to be eligible for this degree completion program option. This option is not available as a double major or dual degree.
Requirements for students pursuing this concentration within the major are:
- At least 75 credits transferred into the program*
- Completion of at least 120 credits
- Satisfaction of the 30 credit hours residency requirement for USM
- Satisfaction of the USM core curriculum requirements including LOS 400 - Senior Seminar: Global Citizenship (e.g., Capstone)
Completion of the following LOS major courses (16 credits):
Completion of 12 credit hours in LOS electives that are 300-level or higher.
LOS Electives are listed below. Please note that not all LOS electives are available online.
- LOS 270 - Introduction to Leadership Credits: 3
- LOS 302 - Organizational Behavior Credits: 3
- LOS 304 - Organizational Budgeting and Finance Credits: 3
- LOS 310 - Science, Technology, and Society Credits: 3
- LOS 312 - Human Resource Management Credits: 3
- LOS 314 - Employee Relations Credits: 3
- LOS 316 - Diversity in Organizations Credits: 3
- LOS 327 - Leading through Conflict Credits: 3
- LOS 329 - Research Methods Credits: 3
- LOS 330 - Cultural Contexts Credits: 3
- LOS 336 - Dealing with Difficult People and Behaviors Credits: 3
- LOS 345 - Leadership and Film Credits: 3
- LOS 360 - Innovation in Organizations Credits: 3
- LOS 361 - Entrepreneurship Credits: 3
- LOS 387 - Collegiate Leadership Competition Credits: 3
- LOS 398 - Independent Study Credits: 3
- LOS 399 - Special Topics Credits: 3
- LOS 422 - Leadership in the Public/Nonprofit Sectors Credits: 3
- LOS 436 - Risk, Public Policy, and Society Credits: 3
- LOS 439 - Women’s Ways of Leading: Building Partnerships, Creating Change Credits: 3
- LOS 462 - Community Leadership and Civic Engagement Credits: 3
- LOS 470 - Leadership Study Abroad Credits: 6
*Returning USM students must not have been enrolled for at least three years in order to be eligible for this completion degree program option. This option is not available as a double major or dual degree.
**All LOS and LOS IPS majors must earn a grade of B- or better in LOS 299, LOS 300 and LOS 350. No waiver courses or substitutions will be permitted for LOS 299, LOS 300 or LOS 350.
Prerequisites for major courses may be met through specific courses, through any one of several programs of prior learning assessment sponsored by USM, or through waiver by the instructor of the course. Before taking 300-level courses in this major, students must have completed a 100-level college writing course or an equivalent with at least a grade of C-, or an equivalent.
Students must have completed a 100-level college writing course or an equivalent with at least a grade of C- before taking 300-level courses in this major.
No more than two courses from outside the major may be used toward completion of the requirements for the major without permission of the faculty-students may work with their advisor for this permission.
Recommended Course Sequence
Students selecting this degree completion program as an option within the LOS major work closely with advisors to facilitate transfer credit, prior learning assessment, and course selection.
USM Core Requirements
The USM Core Curriculum is a coherent, integrative, and rigorous liberal education that enables our graduates to be world-minded, intentional, life-long learners and captures your general education degree requirements.
Please Note: Core requirements may be part of your major and/or minor, and Core may have been fulfilled with transfer credit. Please consult your MaineStreet Degree Progress Report (DPR) and review your degree progress with your Advisor. For additional information, access the USM Core webpage.