Jul 24, 2021
The Accelerated Special Education Initial Certification Pathway allows USM undergraduate students with an interest in special education certification to have courses taken in their undergraduate sequence apply toward the graduate Master of Science in Special Education degree. This allows for exposure to education related courses over multiple years and a reduced course load while in the graduate program.
Requirements at the undergraduate level:
Recommended Courses and Core
Required Courses (12 credits)
Apply for Accelerated Program prior to enrolling in any 500-level courses.
Requirements at the graduate level:
Required courses (30 credits)
- SED 518 - Targeted and Individualized Instructional Strategies for Students with Disabilities (Take in the last 30 credits of undergraduate work)
- SED 615 - Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
- SED 653 - Assessment in Special Education
- SED 682 - Special Education Regulations, Procedures, and the IEP Team
- SED 693 - Transitions Among Agency, School, and Community
- SED 687 - Technology for Communicating and Learning
- SED 688 - Internship in Special Education for Students with Mild to Moderate Disabilities Credits: 6
- EDU 600 - Research Methods
- SED 699 - Directed Study
42 total credits, 282 Special Education certification, and a Master’s degree.
Application Requirements and Instructions
Submit the following:
- Graduate Application to the Special Education Initial Certification program. Application to the program must be submitted while completing last 300-level course work and prior to any 400-level course work.
- Free Admissions Account and Application in Tk20: In addition to the materials listed below, you must also complete a free Tk20 Admissions Account and Application in order for your accelerated pathway application to be reviewed. Submit the Accelerated Pathway application via the Tk20 system.
- Praxis Core scores. Take and pass per Maine State Guidelines all three parts of the Praxis Core: Reading 156, Writing 162, Math 150, or a composite of 468 with no section being 3 points lower than the cut off.
- Three Recommendations: One each from field placement supervisor/mentor, education professor, and major professor. Each must have a separate form for recommendation.
- Essay: a brief essay (300-500 words) that responds to the following prompt: Please describe what you think it means as a teacher to provide equitable learning opportunities for all students. How do you see yourself providing equitable opportunities to learn for your students? Illustrate your thinking by using specific examples.
Admission to the M.S. in Special Education for the Accelerated Special Education Initial Certification Pathway
- Students will apply to the M.S. in Special Education program using the standard graduate admission application; to be considered for admission via the accelerated pathway, a student must have satisfactorily completed the BA degree requirements, and have maintained a GPA of 3.0 for courses in the program, with grades no lower than a C in the following courses: SED 425 and SED 427. The graduate application can be found here: https://www.applyweb.com/usmaine/
- Recommendations, Resume, Essay, and passing Praxis CORE scores from Accelerated Special Education Initial Certification Pathway application will be used as part of the submission requirements of the graduate admission application.
- Students will become fully matriculated in the M.S. in Special Education program once all conditions for admission have been met.
Scholarships: There are scholarships for education students and we highly suggest you apply for them, while applying to the program, or afterwards: http://usm.maine.edu/sehd/financial-aid.