Jul 25, 2021
For highly motivated undergraduate students who are already looking ahead to graduate school, USM offers an Accelerated Graduate Pathway from the Health Sciences major to the Athletic Training program that allows students to complete both the B.S. in Health Science and the M.S. in Athletic Training degrees in five years. This detailed plan saves students one academic year of undergraduate education, as well as one year’s worth of undergraduate fees, tuition, and expenses.
In order to be considered for admission, a student must:
- Declare the Health Sciences major.
- Declare participation in the Accelerated MSAT track no later than the end of their second year.
- Successfully complete all BS Health Sciences core required course work, and all University Core Curriculum requirements at the University of Southern Maine by the end of their junior year status (see course progression below).
- Complete all MSAT prerequisites (see course progression below).
- Complete a USM graduate application to the MSAT.
Students who do not meet these criteria or who are not accepted to the MSAT are still eligible to graduate from the Health Sciences baccalaureate degree by choosing one of the three remaining track options to complete in their fourth year of study.
Suggested Course Progression
If admitted to the USM MS Athletic Training:
Year 4: Summer
- ATH 500 Athletic Training Professional Practice (1 cr)
- ATH 501 Foundations of Patient Safety (1 cr)
- ATH 502 Acute Care of Injuries and Illness (3 cr)
- ATH 503 Acute Care Simulation Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 504 Functional Human Anatomy and Kinesiology (3 cr)
Year 4: Fall
- ATH 510 Examination, Diagnosis and Care I (3 cr)
- ATH 511 Examination, Diagnosis and Care I Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 514 Examination and Management of Non-orthopedic Conditions I (3 cr)
- ATH 515 Examination and Management of Non-orthopedic Conditions I Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 520 Human Performance (4 cr)
- ATH 521 Human Performance Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 571 Clinical I (1 cr)
Year 4: Winter
- ATH 572 Clinical 2 (1 cr)
Year 4: Spring
- ATH 512 Examination, Diagnosis and Care II (3 cr)
- ATH 513 Examination, Diagnoziz and Care II Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 522 Therapeutic Interventions I (3 cr)
- ATH 523 Therapeutic Interventions I Lab (1 cr)
Year 5: Summer
- ATH 524 Therapeutic Interventions II (3 cr)
- ATH 525 Therapeutic Interventions II Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 573 Clinical 3 (2 cr)
- ATH 650 Research Design (3 cr)
- ATH 673 Clinical Education (1 cr)
- ATH 674 Clinical 4 (2 cr)
Year 5: Fall
- ATH 626 Therapeutic Interventions III (3 cr)
- ATH 627 Therapeutic Interventions III Lab (1 cr)
- ATH 640 Health Care Administration (3 cr)
- ATH 651 Capstone 1 (3 cr)
- ATH 675 Clinical 5 (2 cr)
Year 5: Spring
- ATH 641 Health Promotion (3 cr)
- ATH 642 Athletic Training Professional Practice II (1 cr)
- ATH 643 BOC Preparation (1 cr)
- ATH 652 Capstone 2 (1 cr)
- ATH 676 Clinical 6 (3 cr)
How to Participate in the Athletic Training Pathway:
- On the Common App, select your preferred choice of major. You will then see the following option: “Please indicate your interest in one of the following accelerated pathway options at the University of Southern Maine” from which you can select a Pathway.
- In the University of Maine System application, select your First Choice Major and then you will see the following drop-down menu: Accelerated Graduate Degree Pathway (First Choice Major), from which you can select a Pathway.
- If you are a Transfer or Continuing Student, please contact the University of Southern Maine Advising Office to meet with an academic advisor who can review your previous coursework and determine your eligibility for entering an Accelerated Graduate Pathway. Please call (207) 780-4040 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.